Placing a successful order
Give plenty of notice as to when you are going to need the concrete, as per your earlier conversation with the Ready Mix Company about lead times.
- Give the time you want the concrete.
- Give the mix number and or type you are ordering.
- Give the total number of yards needed.
- Let them know the spacing you want on the trucks. For example, “I need the trucks 30 minutes apart.”
- Confirm your order the day before you want the concrete! This is an absolute necessity since so many orders are cancelled. You can not order a week in advance and then never call back!
Scheduling a site visit from your ready mix supplier
Reputable ready mix suppliers are usually pleased to have a representative come to your home to check your job several days before the concrete pour. Plan for and schedule this visit ahead of time-do not expect the representative to be able to come out the same day you call.
Discuss with the representative at this time:
- The amount of concrete you calculated, get their opinion.
- Discuss any admixtures.
- Clarify if the site is accessible to Ready mix truck.
- If you need more than one truck, discuss the spacing of the order.
- Confirm with them what you are trying to achieve and the best mix in order to reach that result. The items listed in the admixtures are meant to give you the information to ask the right questions, not make you an expert requiring no assistance from the professionals in the business.
As straightforward as this information is, most dispatchers will say customers calling to order concrete don’t know for sure how much concrete they need, don’t know if they need any additives, had never considered if the concrete might need to be pumped, and need the concrete tomorrow!
A checklist to make sure you are ordering the right concrete
- Have you used the concrete calculator to determine how much concrete you need?
- Do you need any admixtures?
- Is the site accessible to Ready Mix trucks? Confirm with your ready mix supplier.
- Upon choosing a Ready Mix supplier, confirm with them what you are trying to achieve and the best mix to order to reach that result. The items listed in the admixtures are meant to give you the information to ask the right questions, not make you an expert requiring no assistance from the professionals in the business.